L'eroica - Tuscany Tour
29th September to 7th October - 9 days / 8 nights
Duration: 9 days (8 nights)
Dates: 29th Sept to the 7th October 2014
Start and finish: Siena - pick up/drop off at Siena train station. We'll be staying in the one hotel for the tour duration. So you can unpack and relax.
Group Size: Up to 12 persons
Cost per person: $4,695 AUD per person based on twin share (single supplement of $300 AUD applicable)
Deposit: $750 AUD - secure your place today
Not included: airfares, travel insurance, excursion costs, meal/snacks outside of those in the itinerary
Limited spots remaining - bookings are required now.
Ride, eat, drink, repeat! Believe the hype!!
Some of the best riding, the best food, and the best wine; why not repeat it every day!
Tuscany is more beautiful than what you expect it to be. Rolling hills to explore as you follow cypress-lined winding roads. Sleepy hilltop villages, hidden behind Medieval walls. Peaceful farmland with centuries-old vineyards. The flavours of a cuisine that is as simple as it is delicious. Remarkable wines made with pride, following centuries-old recipes. The colours of a landscape that changes with each season. The rhythm of a life, still tied to traditions. Tuscany has a magic that captures you and makes you slow down and enjoy the moment. Join us for a taste of this region, its wines, its food, and its people. Exceptional riding, beautiful landscape, delicious food, great wines and the locals’ charm will all blend together to create a trip of lifetime.
Learn how to live “la dolce vita”.
- Take a trip back in time and ride the Strade Bianche in the world famous L’Eroica
- Visit traditional artisan frame builders
- Ride along quiet roads of Tuscan landscape, lined by cypress trees.
- Discover the tradition of Chianti Classico from the locals.
- Learn how to prepare a Tuscan feast from an Italian chef.
- The tour is designed for riders and non-riders, so no one needs to be left out.
There are various routes you can do from 35km to the epic 205km. But every route has something in common, gravel road, challenging hills and breathtaking scenery.
All participants must ride a bike pre-1987 and are encouraged to wear vintage clothing.
Tommasini takes its name from its founder Irio Tommasini having spent most of his life with bicycles. Irio since 1948 has been a master frame-builder and in his time was a successful rider in the world of racing. In the 70's by increasing his production capacity the distribution for Tommasini also increased both in Italy and abroad.
Today as yesterday, the company production remains handmade conferring value to experience and selecting the best material. The Tommasini frames, indeed, are synonymous of quality due to tradition, but also rigorous controls that are followed during each production step.
Tommasini steeped in tradition with its artisan workmanship, coupled with technological advancements and stringent quality control, has made it the frame or bike of choice.
A fairly new artisan frame builder, but one who’s reputation is quickly building. Darren Crisp is an American who is teaching Italians about frame building. Believe it, he makes amazing high-end custom titanium frames - road bikes, mountain bikes, and even snow bikes. He calls Dario Pegorretti his mentor and friend, and those who know about steel frames will know that Dario is a legend.
He is an architect, blacksmith & sculptor. He understands design and welding. “Know your builder” is not just a throw away tag line, but a belief that a better frame can be made with a true collaboration between frame builder and cyclist.
Your time in Tuscany includes:
- 8 nights’ accommodation in a 4 star converted castle with Buffet Breakfasts & Dinners
- Superb guided rides with knowledgeable & friendly locals
- Visit the Tommasini workshop in Grosseto and see how traditional steel frames are made.
- Visit Crisp Titanium and see a new artisan creates beautiful titanium frames.
- Visit traditional Chianti winery estates to learn about the wine and do some tasting
- Take traditional Italian cooking lessons
- Walking Tours of Siena and San Gimignano
- Guaranteed entry into L’Eroica – (L’Eroica bikes can be organised)
- Visit the 3 day L’Eroica fair. An amazing market filled with every vintage part or clothing you can image.
- (For those with larger feet (45+) if you don’t have vintage/retro cycling shoes, we suggest you source some before you get to Gaiole. You can buy shoes at the fair, but the larger sizes are hard to find.)
- All evening meals at the hotel or surrounding villages, plus 2 free nights to explore Siena and San Gimignona on your own
- Transfers to and from the train station
- A Tour cycling kit valued over $250 – Jersey, shorts, vest, cap, socks and neck buff.
Total cost: $4,695
Day 1 Mon 29th Sept Arrival - A representative will be at the Siena Train station to pick you up and transfer you to the hotel. Siena is easily accessible by train from Milan and Rome. We'll take you to our castel 30 minutes from Siena. Yes we are staying in renovated castle. It's perched on a small hill with views of Casole d'Elsa and San Gimignano. We'll have time to set up your bikes and take a short ride to shake out the legs.
We'll have welcome drinks by the pool and dinner in the small village of Strove
Day 2 Tue 20th Sept Easy ride – Casole D’Elsa , Coll di Val D’Elsa & San Gimignano
Today we do a fantastic loop from the Hotel to Casole d'Elsa and San Gimignano, it's about 60km long, but features hill top castles, olive plantations, cypress trees, vineyards, friendly Italians, a terrific coffee stop in Casole and lunch in San Gimignano. This is just a small entree of what will be repeated everyday.
This afternoon and Dinner, we'll have a winery tour and private dinner.
Day 3 Wed 1st Oct Visit the Tommasini Factory and tour
Daily Rides: Average 50-100 km's per day
Click to Download Brochure